At SLAP’D, we believe that sharing experiences and insights from a diverse range of perspectives is an integral and cathartic part of building community
and future healing after losing a parent.
SLAP’D is currently accepting submissions of long- and short-form articles, visual art, poetry, music, videos, and anything in between! Sharing your writing and/or artwork on SLAP’D is a great way to connect with others with similar experience, use art and creativity to process and heal, and publicly publish your amazing, inspirational work. Our mission is to create a space by teens, for teens, so we want to hear your voices!
If you’re a teen who’s lost a parent and are interested in sharing your story with the SLAP’D community, please look over our guidelines for submission (outlined below) and send an email with your name, age, and your submission to email@example.com .
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION: When submitting content to be published on SLAP’D, please be mindful of the following guidelines. If you have any questions or are concerned that your submission might not meet these guidelines, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Submissions should in some way be related to the experience of losing a parent (or parental figure) as a child, teen, or young adult. Our Teen Board will select monthly themes and prompts for the content we post – feel free to submit content that fall into those themes, but don’t feel limited by them!
- We believe that grief and loss should not be taboo subjects, and so we welcome (and encourage!) frank and honest discussions of your feelings and experiences. However, we ask that you please refrain from using inappropriate language or explicit images in your submissions, and to be mindful when discussing more sensitive topics. We want to make sure that all teens feel safe and welcome on SLAP’D!
- Remember that while grief is a shared experience, not everyone experiences grief the same way – there’s no right or wrong way to grieve, and there’s no timeline on healing. Please try to focus on your own experiences and perspective instead of making assumptions about others, and try not to suggest that anyone else’s situation is more or less difficult than your own.
- Written content that we decide to publish will likely be edited somewhat by our editing team before it’s published on the site. But don’t worry, all of these changes will be run by you before anything gets posted – your experiences are important and we would never want to obscure your voice!
NUTS & BOLTS:
- If you are submitting visual content (i.e. a painting, photography, etc.), please include a title and brief description for your piece along with a jpg, TIFF, or png file. Submissions should be no larger than 500 kB, with a max width of 800 pixels. Feel free to use ImageRecycle to compress your image if necessary.
- If you are submitting a video, please upload your video to a platform such as YouTube or Vimeo, and submit the link to the video.
- If the work you are submitting to SLAP’D has been previously published somewhere else, please include the name of and, if appropriate, a link to that publication with your submission.